At FB’s biggest RPG group in Mexico, someone said they really want to play that character in D&D, but no one wants to be their DM. I think it’s understandable, an arcane trickster rogue tiefling is a stupid concept.
One problem with D&D (from 2e on) is that it takes itself seriously, to a fault. Therefore, most players just won’t accept a ridiculous character concept like that of the arcane trickster rogue tiefling, because he makes the whole game look ridiculous. For, like all court jesters, he’s a reflection of the concomitant ridiculousness of the court, however invisible to itself.
Ridiculous courtiers hate those who remind them of their ridiculousness.
My solution to this poor soul? Easy: “Play Troika! Here’s your character sheet:”
Arcane Trickster Rogue Tiefling
You are a child of the devil, a free spirit, and no one will tell you what you can or cannot be, and whoever dares, abide by the consequences.
2 Punch Dagger (Damage as Knife)
2 Hellish Resistance
1 Tail Fighting (Damage as Unarmed)
New Advanced Skills
You can see in the dark.
Fire doesn’t harm you.
You can produce any of the following effects:
- Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute
- You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute
- You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute
- You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers
- You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut
- You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute
You can attack with your tail.
In Troika! you can play whatever character you want. He won’t. In Mexico, most people won’t play games other than D&D and Vampire. They would rather not play at all than playing other games. This is a true story. I spent more than two years trying to find players for either a LotFP, Into the Odd, Troika!, Over the Edge, or Mutant Future game. It was only after two years that I found three people. One week after, ony one player came, the other two didn’t even bother to cancel. Three months later, I found two new players and she found two new players. We have been player for a little more than a year every sunday.
In conclusion. Yeah, fuck 5e. Fuck wizards of the coast. And fuck weak pathetic fools!